What is Consensus?
Consider the following continuum, and select the point at which you feel you have reached agreement on a proposal in your own school:
We have arrived at a consensus in our school when:
- All of us can embrace the proposal.
- All of us can endorse the proposal.
- All of us can live with the proposal.
- All of us can agree not to sabotage the proposal.
- We have a majority – at least 51 percent – in support of the proposal.
If you have not done so already, pause for a brief minute and think about where your definition of consensus falls on the continuum.