Before I move on to discussing my new job as an Elementary School Principal, one more time (for now) I want to look back upon my previous experiences as an administrator – more particularly, my last 2.5 years as a curriculum supervisor. Reflection is a crucial part of student learning, so as educators we should be modeling the way by leveraging previous experiences to better ourselves on both a professional and personal level.
That being said, soon after I completed my stint as a curriculum supervisor on December 22, I jotted down 15 thoughts on leadership (some of which directly relate to ways I know I can improve). Here they are. Enjoy!
- What matters more than anything else is how we treat others.
- It’s one thing to say relationships are important; it’s another thing to live it and breathe it and experience it.
- Always seek to understand. We cannot begin to comprehend what others have experienced.
- If we don’t have trust, we have nothing.
- One of the worst messages we can send to others is that we don’t value their opinions.
- I’ve heard many educators claim that the worst bullies in schools/districts are usually the adults; I don’t disagree.
- Friction promotes growth. Conflict tears down culture.
- When we’re insecure in our actions, we criticize others. When we’re confident, we can let our actions speak for themselves.
- Identical accomplishments can be applauded in one context and ridiculed in another, all depending on the lens through which others choose to view the work.
- When we start to justify our actions with a job title, we’re on a slippery slope.
- There’s a difference between focusing on what we want to do and focusing on what needs to be done.
- When we consistently harp on what could/should be, we’re possibly insulting the hard work of others without even knowing it.
- Theory tends to generate anxiety, while practicality promotes progress.
- Day in, day out consistency is not easy.
- Intentionally surrounding yourself with the right people can change your life.
What can you add to the list?
Connect with Ross on Twitter.
Latest posts by Ross Cooper (see all)
- Throwing Our Own Ideas Under the Bus - July 1, 2018
- Here's How We're Moving Forward as an Elementary School… - June 25, 2018
- I'm a New Principal, Here's How I Followed up on My Entry Plan… - June 12, 2018