I recently created a Twitter 101 slide deck to be used at schools, conferences, etc. The intended audience is educators with little to no experience with Twitter, and the presentation should last 45 minutes to an hour. Here is a quick overview of some of the slides that are not entirely self-explanatory:
- Slide 1: Contains a link to the PDF version of the slide deck.
- Slide 2: A YouTube video by Victoria Olson (@MsVictoriaOlson). Victoria created the video a few years ago, and on more than one occasion I have used it during Twitter professional development. In an engaging and unique way, she explains how Twitter can enhance teacher instruction and student learning. Highly recommended!
- Slide 3: Details one approach to start growing a Personal Learning Network (PLN). The steps are:
- Find people to follow by (1) Google searching for something like “top educators on Twitter” and/or (2) searching Twitter for colleagues and prominent educators.
- Find additional users to follow by looking at the profiles of those you are following and exploring (1) who they follow and/or (2) who is following them. Wash, rinse, repeat.
- If a person has a blog, his profile will link to it. Find your favorite blogs and plug them into Feedly, which is a free Really Simple Syndication (RSS) reader that brings all of your favorite “news” to you, rather than having to go to each website individually.
- Slide 4: Basic demos are conducted using the official Twitter website or app. Although this is not what I recommend using (Tweetbot, TweetDeck, Hootsuite), these resources are free and they are where most people start.
- Slide 14: These five resources are clickable, and they can be helpful for both rookies and veterans.
If you would like to modify the slide deck for your own use, feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to send you the original version, which was created in Apple Keynote (version 6.5.2).
Connect with Ross on Twitter.
Latest posts by Ross Cooper (see all)
- 15 Concise Thoughts on #Leadership - February 22, 2018
- What Joe DiMaggio Taught Me About Leadership - February 17, 2018
- Hacking Project Based Learning – Free Online Course! #HackingPBL - January 4, 2018